vSphere CSI Driver - Supported Features Matrix
|Native K8s on vSphere 6.7U3 (CSI
||Native K8s on vSphere 7.0 (CSI
||vSphere with Tanzu – Supervisor Cluster||vSphere with Tanzu – TKG Service ‘Guest’ Cluster|
|CNS UI Support||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Enhanced Object Health in UI||Yes (vSAN only)||Yes (vSAN only)||Yes (vSAN only)||Yes (vSAN only)|
|Dynamic Block PV support (
|Dynamic File PV support (
||No||Yes (vSAN only)||No||No|
|Encryption support via VMcrypt||No||Yes (Block Volume)||No||No|
|Dynamic Virtual Volume PV support||No||Yes||No||No|
|Offline Volume Expansion support (beta)||No||Yes (Block Volume)||No||Yes (Block Volume)|
|Topology/Availability Zone support||Yes (Block Volume)||Yes (Block Volume)||No||No|
|Static PV Provisioning||Yes||Yes||No||Yes|
|K8s Multi-node Control Plane support||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Volume Health||No||No||Yes (Block Volume)||Yes (Block Volume)|
- vSphere CSI driver is not supported on Windows based vCenter.
- vSphere CSI driver is not supported on vSAN stretch cluster.
- Feature to migrate in-tree vSphere volumes to CSI is released as beta with v2.1.0. This feature requires vSphere 7.0u1.
- vSphere CSI driver and Cloud Native Storage in vSphere does not currently support Storage DRS feature in vSphere.
- Native K8s is any distribution that uses vanilla upstream Kubernetes binaries and pods (e.g. VMware TKG, TKGI, etc)
- If the CSI version
2.0driver is installed on K8s running on vSphere 6.7U3, the older CSI
1.0driver features continue to work but the new CSI
2.0features are not supported.
- If the CSI version
1.0.2is installed on K8s running on vSphere 7.0, the CSI
1.0driver features continue to work. CSI version
1.0.1is not compatible with vSphere 7.
- CSI version
1.0.xand CSI version
2.0on vSphere 6.7U3, vSphere with K8s, TKG ‘Guest’ and PKS 1.7 only support dynamically provisioned block (
RWO) volumes on vSphere storage.
- The dynamic creation of read-write-many (
RWX) and read-only-many (
ROX) file based Persistent Volumes is only available in vSphere 7.0 through vSAN 7.0 File Services.
- PV Encryption, offline volume grow and Topology/AZ support are only available on block based Persistent Volumes. These features are not available with PVs backed by file shares.
- Offline volume expansion requires a minimum Kubernetes version of 1.16+, and is also a beta feature in this release. This feature is enabled by default in vSphere 7.0 for Native K8s and in vSphere 7.0U1 for TKG clusters.
- Multi-node Control Planes only supports having a single CSI Pod being active at any time (replica = 1 in controller manifest).
WaitForFirstConsumeris a K8s feature that delays volume binding until the Pod has been scheduled, and is used for Pod and PV placement.
- Volume health is supported for block volumes in vSphere with Kubernetes Cluster and Tanzu Kubernetes Grid Cluster - vSphere 7.0u1.